Saikat Ahamed is currently appearing in Peter Pan.
- Tell us a bit about your character in Peter Pan.
The main character I play is Tinker Bell, a fairy who’s best friends with Peter, until Wendy comes along. Awkward!
- Is there a scene you particularly enjoy performing?
All the scenes as Tink – as I call her – are fun but I really enjoy first meeting the Darling children. Tinker Bell is not what they were expecting.
- Do you have a favourite line?
Loka di clow glir bud! – Speak to the hand girlfriend! Did I mention that Tinker Bell speaks in the fairy language?
- What’s your favourite thing about working at the NT?
The staff are so knowledgeable and also so welcoming. It's a big place so it's always great to see so many smiling faces.
- Do you have a favourite spot here?
I do love the green room [the backstage bar] with its lovely cosy sofas and puppet birds swooping down from the ceiling.
- Who is your backstage hero?
So many! If I had to choose one, I'd go with Jo Phipps [an assistant stage manager on Peter Pan]. Not only does she always make sure I'm in the right place in the building at the right time (did I say it's a large place?) but she also helps sort out our many costumes, which is no mean feat.
- Do you have any pre-show rituals?
Play a nice bit of appropriate music for the character. For Tinker Bell I'm thinking some punk followed by a lullaby, or maybe the other way around.
- What’s the most memorable on-stage moment you’ve seen or been part of that has made a lasting impression on you?
I saw Mark Rylance play Romeo when I was still at school. That was rather special.
- If you could perform alongside one person, living or dead, who would it be?
My Dad, who, as well being a GP, wrote and acted in many plays. He passed away fairly recently and it would be lovely to spend some more time with him doing something we both love.
- Finally, describe Peter Pan in three words.
Nieberlung boomly voosh!